Clayton Bernard Foreman Mary Catherine Edwards (680).jpg

LEFT - Clayton Bernard Foreman

RIGHT - Mary Catherine Edwards

Court documents are revealing the name and new details about a man jailed in Ohio and charged with the 1995 cold case murder of a Beaumont teacher.

Investigators say DNA evidence helped crack the case and led to the arrest of Clayton Bernard Foreman, 61, in Franklin County, Ohio, charged with the murder of Mary Catherine Edwards.

Jail records indicate he was taken into custody April 29.

Beaumont Police and prosecutors are working to extradite him to Texas.

"I give credit to the Beaumont Police Department and I'm so proud of Chief Jim Singletary and his department for the breakthrough in this cold case," said District Attorney Bob Wortham.

The DPS increased the reward last year for information to help solve the cold case, but investigators say it was relentless work by police and investigators, and DNA, that provided a break in the case.

Edwards, 31, was a beloved teacher who lived alone in Beaumont. She was last seen on the evening of Friday, Jan. 13, 1995. The following day, she didn't respond to phone calls, so her parents went to her west Beaumont townhome on Park Meadow Street to check on her. When they arrived, they found Edwards in her bathroom, with her hands handcuffed behind her back and her head in water in the bathtub. She had been sexually assaulted and killed.

Police traveled to Franklin County, Ohio last week and arrested Foreman.

The Probable Cause Affidavit for his arrest indicates DNA evidence taken from Mary Catherine Edwards and items in her townhome led to Foreman.

The break began developing in April of 2020, when investigators used genetic genealogy to help find a suspect, and it eventually led to Foreman.

In April of 2021, investigators in Ohio collected trash from Foreman's home, and they say DNA on those items matched DNA taken from Edwards and items in her home.

Investigators say the crime against Edwards is similar to the 1981 rape of a former Forest Park High School (now West Brook) classmate of Foreman.

Foreman pleaded guilty to that crime and received three years of probation.

Foreman and Edwards both attended Forest Park High School.

Edwards, 31, lived alone in a townhome on Parkmeadow near Major Drive in Beaumont.

She was last seen on Friday, January 13, 1995. The next day, she didn't respond to phone calls. Her father went to her home and found her body in a bathroom. She'd been raped and her head was in water in the bathtub.