It’s over. Three years and four months after Nathan and Krystal Maddox were shot and killed outside of a church in Colmesneil, the last member of the Westfall family is going to prison for the crime. On Thursday, 59-year-old Lloyd Paul Westfall entered a guilty plea on two charges of first degree murder before District Judge Delinda Gibbs Walker in the Tyler County Courthouse.

Westfall appeared very thin and frail compared to his overweight appearance at the time of the murders. He was in a wheelchair and was pushed into the courtroom by Tyler County Sheriff Bryan Weatherford and his deputies.

Westfall, having worked out a plea deal with the Texas Attorney General’s Office, avoids the possibility of the death penalty and will, instead, spend the rest of his life behind bars with no possibility of parole. Westfall also had to agree that he would not file an appeal.

Lloyd Paul Westfall, along with his wife Letha, 57, their daughter Kristen, 32, and their son Cameron, 20, were all charged with shooting and killing Kristen’s ex-husband, Nathan Maddox and his new wife, Krystal. The killings occurred on a Sunday afternoon in front of Mount Carmel Baptist Church on Recreational Road 255, just east of Colmesneil. Investigators say a custody battle over Nathan and Kristen’s very young daughter led to the killings.

In the spring of 2016, Letha Westfall decided to forgo trial and entered a guilty plea in exchange for a life sentence. Although it was called a life sentence, she will actually be eligible for parole when she is 86-years-old, if she is still alive at that point.

A few months later, Kristen Westfall went to trial in the Brazos County Courthouse in Bryan and a jury there found her guilty of murder. She was sentenced to life in prison with no possibility of parole.

Cameron Westfall cooperated with investigators early on and led them to the murder weapons and other evidence that had been thrown into a pond on their property near Colmesneil. Cameron also agreed to testify against his family members if any of the cases went to trial. In exchange for his testimony and also a guilty plea on a lesser charge of tampering with or fabricating physical evidence, prosecutors agreed to give Cameron a 10-year sentence.


Broadcast journalist & on-air personality - Rayburn Broadcasting Company - KJAS 107.3 FM in Jasper, TX and KFAH 99.1 FM in Pineland, TX