A cigarette that had been accidentally dropped in a closet is thought to be the cause of a fire that damaged a small one story, wood frame home in the Shady Acres Subdivision on the south side of Jasper on Monday morning.

The volunteers of the Jasper Fire Department were called to the home at 280 James Street, shortly before 9:00, when it was reported that the fire had broken out the a rear room of the structure. 

The firefighters had the fire out within a short amount of time and the damae was limited to just the one end of the home.

Firemen said the home was owned by Carolyn Armitage, who was renting it out to an unknown individual.

No injuries resulted from the incident.