Hurricane Harvey (680x486).jpg

A 2017 satellite image of Hurricane Harvey over the Gulf of Mexico approaching the Texas coast.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, commonly known as NOAA, has released its 2020 Atlantic Hurricane Season predictions and forecasters say they expect that the Atlantic will be busy, and that means the Gulf of Mexico as well.

NOAA forecasters say there's a 60% chance of an above-normal season, a 30% chance of a near-normal season, and a 10% chance of a below-normal season.

NOAA forecasters are predicting:

~ 13-19 named storms (winds 39 mph or higher)

~ 6-10 hurricanes (winds 75 mph or higher)

~ 3-6 major hurricanes (winds 111 mph or higher)

As for the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico, an average hurricane season will have 12 named storms, 6 hurricanes, and 3 major hurricanes.

The Atlantic Hurricane Season begins on June 1st.

Broadcast journalist & on-air personality - Rayburn Broadcasting Company - KJAS 107.3 FM in Jasper, TX and KFAH 99.1 FM in Pineland, TX