The volunteers of the Jasper Fire Department were dispatched to a home at the intersection of far West Houston Street and Ryall Lane, shortly before 1:00 on Friday afternoon when it was reported that the residence was on fire.

The firefighters arrived at the location, just east of the intersection of Highway 63 to find that the fire, which had began in a home made meat smoker had spread to the porch of the structure.

The firemen were able to extinguish the blaze before major damage resulted from the fire and there were no injuries.